There are many ways to define personal power. Here are some to consider.
- Personal power is being in control of your life.
- Personal power is the ability to achieve what you want.
- Personal power equals control of resources.
- Powerful people are focused on their goals.
- Powerful people take impactful action.
- Personal power is the ability to influence others.
- Personal power is freedom.
ON A SCALE FROM WEAKEST TO STRONGEST
Now, of course, power can be used in a positive way or in a negative way. It has been said that being forceful is the weakest power of all. Brute strength often only yields negativity and resentment; and only short term gain. A much stronger use of power is to use charm and positive influence to help others build their power. This is a much longer-lasting strategy with easily seen benefits including increasing the power of the initial charmer!
Be an observer of yourself throughout your days. Take periodic attitude checks. Begin to recognize when you feel apathy, negativity, or just generally stuck. Use those feelings as a signal to alert you that you have lost touch with your personal power. Once you are able to recognize what it feels like when your power is depleted, then you can start to experiment and find what works to make you feel powerful again. At that point, you will be cued into a key cycle that you can use to manage yourself to success.
FOR A POWER BOOST
- Think about a time when you had power and let your body and your mind feel it.
- Practice non-reaction instead pause, then respond decisively.
- Use positive self-talk.
- Be charming.
- Assume goodwill.
- Take action.
- Give to others.